Thursday, December 30, 2010

In love with Bagamoyo

I have been spending my week with kids from Imuma which is a place for kids in the neighborhood can come and be loved.  They can only afford to board 7 of the kids to live there. I have only been there for one week because Red Cross is on vacation for the holiday, and I am completely attached to them. There is one girl named Mosik, and she is very shy and quiet. She won't leave my side when I am there.  Today, we took all 26 of them in a tiny van to the beach, and they all went crazy with excitement. It was quite a sight to see 26 kids and 4 adults in a tiny van. Mosik stayed with me all day, and she actually spoke with me today. I have become so attached, I have no idea how I can possibly leave them. They are all so beautiful, full of hope and dreams, and they are the happiest children I have ever been around. I am in love with each and every one of them. We usually spend the first part of the day on the field to run around and play games with them before class. We tried to show them how to make a bottle rocket, but it failed miserably because we had pepto instead of alki seltzer. In class, we say KAA a lot which means be quiet and sit down.  We have them come up one by one and sing a song in English. This boy Suma who is 5, will come up and sing "If you are happy and you know clap your hands." It is the cutest thing I have ever seen. So much personality.  I am so inspired, that I have decided to work with them in my free time. I just can't let them go. I have also fallen in love with my fellow volunteers. This is a bittersweet week because many of them are leaving one week before I am. I have made so many amazing friends here in the community as well as the staff and other volunteers. Ok no more gush gush because this weekend I am heading to Zanzibar for New Years, spices, Stone Town, tortoises, and more music and art. I have found my heart here in Bagamoyo. Stay tuned, I will try to add photos soon...
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment