Monday, January 3, 2011

Zanzibar






This was without a doubt the best New Year celebration of all time.  We left Bagamoyo on Friday after placement, and we headed to Dar Es Salaam to catch the ferry. Kennedy pushed us through the intense angry crowd to get us up front so that we would have good seats. We were in an enclosed area with "AC" that smelled of body odor and incense. As soon as we left the port, I knew I thought I would be sick. It felt like being on a roller coaster for 2 1/2 hours. We finally arrived in beautiful Zanzibar on New Years Eve.  We drove to the south tip of the island to stay in our rustic bungalows and ate dinner which was the same thing we eat at CCS (fish, rice, and potato).  We were all a bit concerned when we found that there was no bar at our hotel for new years eve, but we were pleasantly surprised to hear music down the beach. We headed to a hotel, and we were again the only guests. We had frozen "Tanzanian Kisses" which was the best thing we had ever tasted even though we could have become ill from the ice. We all decided it was worth the risk since it was New Years. None of us got sick from the ice by the way... There were two men drumming, and six men and women in kangas that of course pulled us in to dance. The women wrapped all of us in kangas including bibi (Fey the 80 year old volunteer with us) and put us all in a circle. We all took turns dancing in the middle of the circle. Some of us started running out of "moves" so we would start jumping in with the amazing 80's dances we knew. It was so much fun, and there was nothing of a typical New Years.  Nobody was drunk, there was no crying, and no drama. We were all just so happy to be together and enjoyed each other.  After the band left we had a little count down with the waitstaff, and they even opened a bottle of champagne for us. After midnight, we all ran and jumped in the pool in the darkness. It was amazing to swim in darkness under the beautiful bright stars and the ocean waves crashing. Completely beautiful.  Jordan, Amy, and I started singing the only Swahili song we know as well in the pool. I woke up to walk on the beach, and the tide was out.  I have never seen such an incredible paradise.  Of course, I was stung by a jellyfish, but I continued to walk in the water and look at the shells.  We laid by the pool for a bit, and we headed to Stone Town for a seafood Tanzanian lunch with wine.  Stone Town is absolutely beautiful. I wish I had more than one full day to spend in Zanzibar, but I am so glad I made the trip. After lunch, a few of us decided to take a boat to Chunguu Island (prison island). I was looking for pirates, but no such luck:) It was originally used as a quarantine for Cholera and Yellow Fever. But now, it has become a sanctuary for extremely large tortoises and peacocks.  We fed some of the tortoises, and one hungry tortoise chomped my finger. That actually hurt much worse than the jellyfish. I think I lost my clumsiness, but I have inherited love from animals.... I shook it off, and we went on our tour through the old prison.  We then got back in the boat, and enjoyed the sunset as we slowly moved across the water. It was serial to be on the Indian Ocean.  We then met up with the rest of the group at a mzungu place called Mercury's that was right on the Ocean. It was named after Freddy Mercury from Queen. There were a ton of mzungus, but the music was great. I started getting emotional because it was my last night in Tanzania with Amy and Jordan. They stayed in Zanzibar until they leave for Cleveland.  I am so happy that I have this bond with them, and I will miss them dearly. I might need to plan a small weekend in Cleveland soon. They surprised me and took me to their 5 star all inclusive resort for my last night in Zanzibar.  I was elated to take a real shower with hot water and air conditioning.  I even used conditioner!!  My poor sister is going to have her work cut out for her after being here for a month:) Sorry Tiff... he he he. The three of us drank and talked under the stars. I left in the morning and headed to the spice farm to meet up with the rest of the volunteers. I was very early, so I listened to Bob Marley with a little boy, and we drummed together on the dirt until they arrived.  It was just another moment that reminds me why I came to Tanzania. The spice farm was very interesting, but I couldn't focus because I was so excited to buy real coffee.  Only instant coffee seems to be available in Baga. I bought some gifts for friends and family, and we headed home to Bagamoyo. Just after I went through the crowded gate at the ferry, I heard my name being yelled. It was Amy and Jordan running behind the gate to say goodbye. I ran towards them, we hugged through the giant bars in the gate, and I began to cry. I miss them so much already. And now there are six.  The ferry went smoothly, and we finally got home to CCS in Bagamoyo
Today, I went to UKUN which is an organization that works together with the Red Cross. We went to the open market to buy watermelon and pineapple for a man in the hospital suffering from TB and AIDS. He has all the medications, but he doesn't have the proper amount of food and water.  Charles convinced the hospital to let him stay there for another week so that he could have a fighting chance to get enough food to eat with his medications. Charles will be stopping by to check on him from time to time to see his progress and make sure that he is hydrated and fed properly. I am experiencing new enlightening moments each day, and I am learning that I belong here. I can't imagine leaving when there is so much more to experience.

3 comments:

  1. Meghan,
    Your experience is so emotional for me and I just love being able to hear about all you are doing and experiencing. You just had a New Year that can't be topped!
    Love you and miss you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mom... Every time I start to write about everything, I tear up. It is so much to process. This has without a doubt changed my life. I love you and miss you!!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete