Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nakupenda Rafikis

It is my last week, and it is completely heartbreaking.  Today I spent my day with UKUN which is an organization that helps with AIDS education, home based care to patients, and testing for HIV/AIDS. I was tested for HIV today, and I am safi (clean)! It is a similar process to testing blood sugar for diabetes.  Then, I spent my day with Charles the creator of this organization, and we went on home visits to check on patients. We went to the famous Captain's hut, and we helped with physical therapy for a bit.  We chatted for a while, and he commented that I am learning Swahili very quickly. I always tell people I am learning pole pole (slowly) and they usually laugh at me. But I am finally learning how communicate with people that speak no English.  I am sure when I return to work, I will say things like..."Mambo! Habari Gani? Nzuri sana! Na wewe?" I apologize in advance...
It has been an extremely quiet week around here as there are only 6 of us left, but it is giving me time to process everything that has happened over the last month.  I have been telling all my new  friends that live in Bagamoyo that I planned this trip for a year and 1/2, and I am not sure when I can come back. But I feel that I am meant to be here.  UKUN for example would have a better shot at funding if they only had a website.  That is my first goal when I come back. My second goal is to help with Imuma which is an orphanage/daycare. There are about 36 kids, but they can only afford to have 7 kids live there full time. They are still the happiest group of children I have ever met. They have so much love in there hearts, and they have absolutely nothing. On Friday, we are going to the beach one last time before I go home. And then there is Bagamoyo. A piece of my heart will stay here in Bagamoyo.  There are so many artists, musicians, and culture here. I walk down the road everyday, and almost every person walking by greets me. And they become ecstatic if I say something other than "Mambo! Poa!"  In Seattle, they look the other direction. I think it will be more of a culture shock when I return than it was when I arrived here.  I just feel so blessed that I was able to have this experience.  Thank you to all of my contributors and sponsors. I would not have been able to have this experience without you. I have been touched deep within my soul, and I will always remember the time I travelled to Tanzania. It has changed my perspective, and it has change my life.  I am completely heartbroken to leave my new rafikis (friends) and watoto (children) behind.  Thank you so much for helping me to find my voice and my passion.  I will be posting a ton of photos and videos when I return next week. THANK YOU!!
Tutaonanaa!! See you
Meghan aka Uwendi

No comments:

Post a Comment